This week’s Director’s Spotlight is shining brightly on Director, Andrew S. Kuhlman!
- What is your name and how old are you?
- Andrew Kuhlman, 29 years old
- What social media links can your fans and our readers follow you on?
- Facebook, Click here to check it out!
- What hobbies do you have, other than Theatre, of course?
- How does one who works in the theatre have time for hobbies? Lol! But seriously, I love to travel and I’m trying to take up some more of that this year. I get to go to New York for work and/or fun four or five times a year and it is such a vibrant, incredible city. And, it is always such an amazing experience seeing theatre productions up there. And not just Broadway…I love to see things off the beaten path too!
- I’m a cooking show freak. I love the Great British Bake Off and I swear that 90% of my DVR is filled with Food Network. For the past year, I’ve also been on a life changing journey to health. In fact, today I’m celebrating releasing 338 pounds! Along the way, I have found a love of cooking and going to the gym. The elliptical and I are really good friends.
- What is your occupation?
- I work as the Associate Producer for STAGES St. Louis and I am also an Adjunct Professor at St. Charles Community College.
- How long have you been directing?
- I started dabbling in directing my senior year of college and really dove in after graduating and moving back to STL. I was working as the Assistant Director of Speech & Theatre at my alma mater, Francis Howell High School. It was there that I found how much I thoroughly enjoyed that side of theatre arts.
- What shows have you directed?
- Wise Write Young Playwrights Festival (2016/2017)
- The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
- The Curious Savage
- Twelfth Night
- Our Town
- Comedy of Errors
- Return to the Forbidden Planet
- Kimberly Akimbo
- Distracted……….I’m sure there are a few others in there that I’m missing!
- What are your top three shows you have directed?
- Our Town
- Top 3 shows you would love to direct?
- Almost, Maine
- Fiddler on the Roof
- What theaters have you worked with?
- As a Director, I have worked with Act Two Theatre, Education Department at The Rep, STAGES Performing Arts Academy, and a number of educational organizations and schools in the St. Louis region.
- As an actor, I’ve had the privilege of working with SATE, ERA, Solid Lines Productions, RS Theatrics, West End Players Guild, Mustard Seed, Onsite, Metro Theater, St. Louis Shakespeare, Magic Smoking Monkey Theatre, Stray Dog, STL Fringe, Variety Children’s Theatre, and Center Stage Theatre.
- What nominations and awards have you received?
- As a Director, I’ve been nominated for two Arts For Life Awards for Best Director of a Musical and one Broadway World STL Award for Best Director of a Comedy.
- As an actor, I received a Judy Award for Best Actor in a Comedy for my performance as Jules in “Boom” with RS Theatrics. I also have received two Theatre Circle Award Nominations. The first was for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama (Kabe, “One Flea Spare”, SATE) and the second was for Outstanding Actor in a Comedy (Jules, “Boom”, RS Theatrics). I also had the honor to be a member of the cast of “Arcadia” with West End Players Guild which received the STL Theatre Circle Award for Outstanding Ensemble in a Drama.
If you want it, you can achieve it!
As always, we here at St. Louis Limelight want to thank Andrew Kuhlman for taking the time out of his busy schedule to take part in the “10 Questions With” segment and let our Director’s Spotlight shine on him this week!
Personally, I continue to be inspired and impressed as each interview comes to an end. My interactions with Director/Actor, Andrew Kuhlman, proved to be just that…inspirational and impressive. And, I am sure you, our readers, would agree after reading his accomplishments both on stage and off, personally and professionally.
If you choose to connect with the Director via his Facebook link above, you will notice (as I did immediately) his “Intro” which reads: “”I’m sort of like Costco. I’m big, I’m not fancy and I dare you to not like me.” Cam, Modern Family”. Quite frankly, I believe it!
The Final Curtain Call goes to Actor & Director, Andrew S. Kuhlman!
Don’t give up on your passions or dreams and set the bar high!
If you can dream it, you can achieve it!
Having discovered my own passion for writing later in life, I am always striving to encourage others to follow theirs no matter when in life one finds it. As a final “follow up” question for our “10 Question With” segment, I am sure to ask our Talents this question, ” Is there anything else you would like to say or advice you have to inspire our readers and your fans or those thinking about following the passion for theatre?
We want to wish you a Happy Belated Birthday and the best of luck now and in the future and we look forward to seeing you soon, on stage and off. As for you, the reader, the Director leaves you with this final thought:
“If I could pass any advice onto someone just discovering a love of theatre it would be: Only you can determine your worth. This is a tricky business and you will receive more “no’s” than “yes’s”. But none of this means anything as long as you know that you matter…your voice matters.”
~Andrew S. Kuhlman~