Listen to a guest speaker, view student films, gaze upon art or enjoy the sounds of the United States Air Force Band of Mid-America at Southwestern Illinois College this fall.
The college’s arts series, called the Southwestern Illinois Creative Arts Syndicate, features a variety of events ranging from the Film and Mass Communication programs’ open house Sept. 25 to a lecture and demonstration by film makeup artist Jeff Lewis on Oct. 22, and the SWIC Holiday Concert Dec. 4.
“There is something for everyone whether you’re into chamber music, love art or want to find out more about filmmaking,” said Nicole Dutton, Schmidt Art Center curator. “We want our students and the community to enjoy the arts right here in the Metro East.”
- Sept. 18 – Guest Lecture: SWIC Clarinet Instructor Meghan Yankowskas, 2 p.m., The Schmidt
- Sept. 19 – Guest Lecture: Humans of STL Creator Lindy Drew, 3 p.m., The Schmidt
- Oct. 3 – Faculty Speaker: Associate Professor of Music Ed Jacobs – Operatic Empathy, 3 p.m., The Schmidt
- Oct. 22 – Guest Lecture and Demonstration: Jeff Lewis – Film Make Up Artist, 6 p.m., The Schmidt
- Oct. 23 – Sound Meditation with Pati Pellerito, 4:30 p.m., The Schmidt
- Nov. 1 – Guest Lecture: Sarah Borgstede – Empathy, Government, and YOU: Advocacy with RESULTS, 3 p.m., The Schmidt
- Nov. 7 – Faculty Panel Discussion: Dan Cross, Paula Haniszewski, Ed Jacobs and Julie Willis – 2001: A Space Odyssey The Film Reviewed after 50 Years, 3 p.m.,
- Nov. 15 – Tellebration: A Storytelling Event, 6 p.m., The Schmidt
- Oct. 29 – Documentary Film Screening: ‘Whose Streets’ Co-Directed by Sabaah Folayan and Damon Davis, 11 a.m., 3 p.m., 7 p.m., LAC Theater
- Nov. 20 – Alumni Student Film Screening: ‘A Blast from the Past,’ 3 p.m., LAC Theater
For exhibition information, visit swic.edu/theschmidt.
- Oct. 25 – Finocchio-Clary-Barnes-Méthot Exhibition Opening Reception, 4-7 pm., The Schmidt
- Nov. 29 – Pottery Sale, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., The Schmidt
For concert information, visit swic.edu/music.
- Sept. 18 – Music Faculty Recital: Meghan Yankowskas, Electric Clarinet 3 p.m., The Schmidt
- Sept. 25 – Chamber Music Recital: U.S. Air Force Band of Mid-America 7 p.m., The Schmidt
- Oct. 19 – Jr. High Band Concert: Empathy Is Created – Teaching Human Beings Through Music ALL DAY, Varsity Gym
- Oct. 20 – SWIC Choirs & St. Paul UCC Chancel Choir: From the Heavens to Earth 7 p.m., St. Paul United Church of Christ, Belleville
- Oct. 30 – Chamber Music Recital: Sound Czech, 7 p.m., The Schmidt
- Oct. 31 – SWIC Student Recital, 3 p.m., The Schmidt
- Nov. 3 – No-Name Chorale 7 p.m., The Schmidt
- Nov. 5 – Jazz Band: America’s Original Art 7 p.m., MC Theatre
- Nov. 15 – SWIC Concert Band: Salvation is [Re]Created 7 p.m., St. Clare of Assisi Church, O’Fallon
- Dec. 4 – SWIC Holiday Concert 7 p.m., Varsity Gym
- Dec. 5 – SWIC Student Honors Recital 3 p.m., The Schmidt
- Dec. 8 – SWIC Concert Choir & Chamber Singers: Carols by Candlelight IV 7 p.m., Union United Methodist Church, Belleville
- Sept. 25 – Media Arts Open House, 5 p.m., LA 1342 and 1348
- Oct. 5 – College Radio Day, ALL DAY Listen on Blue Storm Radio on TuneIn
About the cover photo: A photograph of a bike in Venice is from the Schmidt Art Center’s current exhibition, “Art at the Speed of Light” by Donald Bevirt, which opened Aug. 23 and runs through Oct. 5.